1 in 5 parents expect to buy student laptops during Back to School sales
Experienced consumers know there are big savings opportunities from the hundreds of back to school sales in August, whether for students or basically everyone. In fact, back to school discounts far transcend deals on school needs, catering to savings on needs and/or upgrades for the home, home office, and even work. Think of it as a precursor to all those early Black Friday deals throughout November, with different retail events happening bi-weekly, but without the build up to one big holiday shopping weekend. It’s a good time to buy clothing, shoes, laptops, office supplies and nab travel deals.
The key to cashing in on August sale items, as well as any big seasonal sale, is by stacking sale prices with discounts, rewards, rebates and coupons. Some key resources for this August buying guide on finding additional savings:
- Tax Holiday Weekend Guide: 16 states will participate in a sales tax holiday, offering the opportunity to purchase certain school supplies, computers, books and clothing free of state sales or use tax.
- Laptop Deals: A one-stop resource to compare all of the best laptop deals, or review all of the best computer deals and accessories.
- Student Discounts Guide: Have a student ID?–use it to save as much as $100 on an Apple or other PC, software, and other school related supplies.
- Teacher Discount Guide: Have a teacher ID?–use it to save as much as $100 on an Apple or other PC, software, and other school related supplies.
- Textbook Buying Guide: A comprehensive list of online stores offering heavily discounted textbooks (15+ stores that include coupons and cash back from FatWallet on new, used, rentals, digital and buy back).
- Back to School Cash Back Sale: Dozens of of stores increase cash back throughout August for savings on just about everything, including needs for students.
- Paper Vs Tech: Find out if switching to digital textbooks will save students money in the long run.
Some of the best laptop and tablet deals of the year happen in August, as is evident from the parents we surveyed, ranking back to school sales as the #1 time to find good deals, ahead of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. This is not only true for price, but for selection as well, especially on higher quality models that will serve students a better and longer learning experience. And while 20% of parents noted they’ll be buying a student laptop, 65% agree laptops are “the” best tool for their students to learn. Here’s a closer look at what to buy in August this year:
A month long seasonal shopping event that can be very prosperous for a variety of home, school and work needs.
- Tech: (laptops, tablets and iPads, cell phones and iPhones, PC’s)
- Supplies: (writing supplies, backpacks, lunch bags, art supplies)
- Clothing: (uniforms, shirts, blouses, jeans, shoes, jackets, hoodies, shorts, hats, socks)
- Textbooks/Books: (buy and sell online: new, used, rentals, digital)
- Musical Instruments: (woodwinds, brass winds, drums, percussion, guitars, etc.)
- College: (luggage, furniture, lighting, rugs, small appliances, storage)
Tip: Check to see if you’re eligible for student and teacher discounts, often adding and additional 10-20% off computers, software and other supplies with your school ID. Here is some great information for those who are partial Apple products
The final week of August kicks off another round of seasonal clearance as back to school sales wrap up and summer clearance takes the stage, right through Labor Day discounts.
- Sports/Outdoors: (golf, cycling, running, baseball, camping, fishing, pools)
- Clothing: (shirts, dresses, shorts, sandals and accessories)
- Swimwear: (suits, shorts and swim accessories)
- Grills/Grilling: (gas and charcoal grills and accessories)
- Patio Furniture: (outdoor furniture, umbrellas, seat cushions, lawn chairs)
- Travel: (Hotels weekend discounts/packages, Vegas deals, luggage)
- MISC: (some yard/lawn tools, paint, fans, wine)
Tip: Willing to settle for what’s left in inventory? Waiting to buy school needs the last week in August and into September can lead to even better savings.