MAY SAVINGS TIPS!
May brings an abundance of savings opportunities, especially on big ticket items like laptop and tablets for mom (or yourself), summer vacation packages and hotel bookings, appliances, mattress sets and more. Mother’s Day spending has grown to be one of the top 5 sales events of the year (for more than just moms) and Memorial Day sales feature a week long of deep discounting on items like mattressess, large appliances, furniture and high-priced outdoor living products like grills and patio sets. Add in primetime for vacation booking, and May presents itself as a power shoppers paradise when you know the inside scoop.
Although many book ahead, May officially kicks off vacation booking season. Direct travel retailers and online travel agents ramp up discounts on summer vacation packages, hotels, vacation rentals, car rental discounts and even local deals and coupons for regional savings on family activities and events. FatWallet’s annual vacation spending survey reports that 8 in 10 Americans will go on vacation, with almost 60% taking vacations this summer – See full results and INFOGRAPHIC (*TNS Global).
The study also reported that vacation bookings made with mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) will increase by more than 50% this year. Smart shoppers take advantage of rewards, especially cash back, where FatWallet members can add savings from more than 100 travel sites and take advantage of a limited exclusive cash back increase to 8% from Priceline and Expedia, the highest online cash back available for these OTAs.
Here’s when to shop for the best things to buy in May:
Mother’s Day Sales – not just for moms:
In the past few years, the trend has been that moms want a day off, stress-free time and to be able to spend time with family, hopefully outdoors. That’s where local deals from sites like Groupon, Living Social, Amazon Local, etc. can really make for the perfect storm of a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift that offers deep savings. Whether that be a spa day, dinner and a movie, or more adventurous activities, local deals are a smart go to.
- Flowers & Gifts: flowers, candy, books, crafts & supplies, jewelry
- Home & Garden: cookware/kitchenware, pots, plants, tools, feeders, outdoor decor
- Gift Cards: restaurants, retail, craft/fabric stores, electronics
- Local Deals: dinner and drinks, spas, events, activities and getaways
- Tech: tablets, smartphones, laptops, cameras
Tip: Not sure what to get mom…Gift cards let moms go shopping for “free”. FatWallet features dozens of stores offering Mother’s Day discounts on e-gift cards–many with additional cash back savings, including Starbucks cards, iTunes gift cards and American Express.
Vacation Packages and Hotel Deals
Early May offers the magic 50-day mark for best prices and selection on summer travel bookings. Find coupons and special offers that stack with cash back from more than 100 online travel retailers (OTAs, metasearch and direct bookings).
- Travel Deals with spring discounts on flights, cruises, hotels and car rentals
- Local Deals offer savings of 50% or more on restaurants, amusement parks, museums, concerts, spas, golf courses and other vacation activities going on at your destination.
- Luggage deals can be found 30-50% off clearance (stackable with cash back specials)
Sports and Outdoors Deals – will run amuck:
- Sports: golf, cycling, baseball, athletic apparel/shoes
- Outdoors: fishing, cycling, running, camping, swimming, hiking
Tip: Many sports equipment items have trade-in value, especially golf clubs, bicycles and even some fishing gear which can save you up to 20% when upgrading (if you’ve taken care of your stuff).
Memorial Day Sales – shop them early to nab better stock:
This holiday has become the official kick-off of summer sales (or spring clearance – take your pick). That said, it is a premium time to grab discounts on big ticket items for the home, especially these listed below:
- Home Furnishings: mattresses, furniture, bedroom sets, patio sets
- Appliances: complete kitchen sets, refrigerators, freezers, washers & dryers, stoves/ranges
- Clothing: kick-off of Summer Clothing Deals collides with Spring Fashion Clearance
- Travel: Summer vacation bookings and hotel specials for a holiday weekend getaway
Tip: Like Black Friday, Memorial Day sales now start early with some a full week ahead–this provides those with holiday plans a chance to cash in on this big savings event.
Sales for Graduation and Wedding Gifts
Grads and newlyweds are celebrating new beginnings and need stuff. Retail sales events leading up to Memorial Day often feature savings on these items and many top stores will increase cash back to help you save more when purchasing gifts.
- Apparel and Accessories: clothing, shoes, suits, dresses, jewelry and watches
- Electronics: laptops, tablets, smartphones, HDTVs, wireless gadgets
- Home and Kitchen: small and large appliances, decor, bath and bedding
Tip: Look for huge Memorial Day discounts from retailers that stock these items.