Originally published Aug. 4, 2015.
Roses come in many different shades, and each color has a specific meaning that helps to convey our different thoughts and emotions. At times, words might escape us, and we can’t quite get out what we want to say. For hundreds of years, people have given roses and flowers as a sign of love, joy, bereavement, and as a way to congratulate someone. The color of the rose can express just what you want to say even when you haven’t said a word. Flowers speak to us and to our inner souls in a way that is sometimes hard to explain. This Valentine’s Day, send the rose that says what is in your heart.
Different shades of the same color mean different things when it comes to roses. A dark red rose has a different meaning than a regular red one. Here are 20 rose colors and their meanings to help you navigate Valentine’s Day and say with roses what is in your heart and mind.
The Meaning of Rose Colors
If you want to say “I love you,” then you should give red roses. Nothing symbolizes love quite like a red rose, which is often called the lover’s rose. Not only do red roses symbolize love, but they also represent commitment and undying love.
- Dark Red Roses: These roses symbolize rare, awestruck beauty. It also symbolizes vigor, which could be something you want to bring to the relationship.
- Black Roses: What are actually just deep, dark red roses, black roses symbolize death and farewell. When it comes to Valentine’s Day, these are perfect for the alternative romantic in your life. If you’re dating Morticia Addams, these are a great choice.
- Red and White Roses: Given together, these signify unity.
Used to express grace, dignity, and happiness, a pink rose is feminine, refined and is also a symbol of admiration. Often times pink roses are sent at the beginning of new relationships to show the promise of a new love adventure.
- Dark Pink Roses: If you want to express appreciation, gratitude, or to say thank you, send dark pink roses.
- Light Pink Roses: This shade of pink shows both grace and elegance, plus admiration for beauty and refinement, and even sweetness.
- Peach Roses: These show gratitude and simplicity; the perfect way to say thank you.
- Salmon Roses: According to Passion Growers, salmon roses indicate “enthusiasm, desire and excitement.”
The white rose represents purity and innocence and says, “I am worthy of you.” White roses are given to mothers or the matriarch of the family to show respect.
- Cream Roses: The cream rose is used most often in weddings and symbolizes young love.
Show that special someone that they are desired and you are excited to see them by sending orange roses. These flowers show that they are wanted, desired, and that your passion runs deep for them. This fiery rose is all about showing that emotional, passionate side.
Yellow roses are one of the best sentiments to show friendship, happiness and the promise of a new beginning. They can also mean “infidelity,” so choose who you send these to wisely.
- Yellow with Red Tip: These flowers mean friendship and falling in love.
- Red and Yellow Roses: Given together, these signify happy feelings.
- Gold Roses: These roses mean friendship and that you care. They can also mean the promise of a new beginning, happiness, and delight. Gold is supposed to last forever, so a gold rose would indicate a long-lasting relationship that never fades.
These beautiful roses mean enchantment and magnetism, opulence and majesty.
- Lavender Roses: Send these to that special someone you fall in love with at first sight and are in a state of pure enchantment. They are a very romantic rose meant for that special person you can’t get out of your mind.
These are for the unattainable or impossible love. Blue is the color of melancholy, so these roses symbolize that.
These symbolize vibrancy and life, exactly the kind of thing you want a long-lasting romance to have.
With all these different meanings and definitions of rose colors, there’s bound to be the perfect rose to show that special someone just how you feel. If you are crazy passionate about them, let them know with orange roses. Are you totally enchanted with them and can’t get them off your mind? Then lavender roses will show them that you feel they are unique and special. Roses are a classic, universal way to send a message of love to anyone on your mind this Valentine’s Day.