You know it’s a big job when you reach for the circular saw!
Seen one circular saw, seen them all, right? Although these tools look very similar on the surface, they can differ drastically in features, performance and price. When you need all day cutting, on and of the ladder, forget those battery powered circular saws. This is one time the shear power from a 120 volt cord is a convenience. Choosing the right circular saw is an investment in not only money, but time and final craftsmanship, so it’s best to do your homework.
Depending on your level of of do-it-yourself, you may not need to buy a high-end circular saw. There are budget models with features to help you cut straighter and enough ooomph to finish medium sized projects without fighting inadequate cutting power. Shoppers can save you some serious money, especially now during prime tool buying season when tool deals during Father’s Day sales include increased cash back from stores like Sears, Home Depot, Kmart and dozens of others through June 15!
Craftsman 10871 13 amp Corded 7-1/4″ Circular Saw 10871:
Although this this saw is unpowered compared to many other, more expensive circular saws, the owner ratings are very respectable saying it’s an adequate tool for handling most basic home improvement projects. At 13-amps, it’s not going to sail through heavy treated wood, but the laser guide, dual LED lights and carbide-tipped blade make it a solid project saw compared to other budget models and this saw can make beveled cuts up to 54.5 degrees. Priced right as a first saw or great for the light-duty hobbiest.
- 13 AMP motor provides 5000 RPM for precise and reliable performance
- includes a 24-tooth carbide blade and blade wrench to start work immediately
- Ergonomic handle and built-in dual bulb LED work light make sawing and cutting effortless
- bevel range of 0-54.5 degrees
- 17.32 lbs
- One year limited warranty
Sears: $58.99 w/Free Shipping + 6.0% Cash Back
Bosch CS5 120-Volt 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw:
The Bosch CS5 120-volt 7-1/4-inch circular saw is a tool for value-conscious professionals focusing on core user needs. The lightweight CS5 delivers 15 amps of power and a left-blade design for the clearest line of sight while cutting. The anti-snag lower guard lets you make cuts without having to advance the guard, even while making bevel cuts. With a left side saw blade positioning, right-handed users will have direct line of site of where the blade is cutting. Different than conventional right side saws blades, it may take a few cuts to get used to, but having a clear view of where the blade is cutting ensures a more accurate cut all round.
- powerful 15 Amp motor with standard 7-1/2 inch blade diameter
- Bevel cuts up to 56°
- Weighs in at 10 pounds
- Includes 24T carbide blade
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
- depth of cut at 90° is a pretty useful 2-7/16 inches, running down to 1-13/16 inches at 45°
Amazon: $119.00 + $7 shipping
Makita Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw 5007MG:
The Magnesium components create a lightweight saw (10.6 lbs.) that is perfectly balanced and jobsite ready. The powerful 15.0 AMP industrial motor delivers 5,800 RPM for top-rated performance and high-use durability. It has 2 built-in L.E.D. lights that illuminate the line of cut and a designed ducting to blow dust away.
- 15.0 AMP industrial motor, 5,800 RPM
- positive stops at 22.5°and 45°
- 7-1/4-Inch Premium Ultra-Coated Framing Blade with Advance Tooth Design
- Large cutting capacity (2-1/2″ at 90°) and bevel capacity (0°-56°)
- 1 year warranty
Amazon: $154.00 +$7 Shipping
DEWALT 7-1/4-in Corded Circular Saw DW364K:
A really tough and powerful circular saw with a heavy-duty 15 Amp motor designed for long life and made to meet the most difficult applications. Very heavy (12.3 lbs.) for its class so if you like your tools beefy with superb durability that can easily cut through just about anything, this saw is worth every penny.
- 5.0 Amps, Max Watts 2,075W, No Load Speed 5,800rpm
- Bevel Capacity 50° w/Electric Brake and Rear Pivot
- Blade Diameter 7-1/4 inches
- Depth of Cut at 45° 1-7/8 inches, Depth of Cut at 90° 2-7/16 inches
- 90 Day Money Back Guarantee, 1 Year Free Service Contract, 3 Year Limited Warranty
- Includes: DW364, Carbide tipped blade, Blade Wrench, Kit Box
Lowe’s $159.00 w/Free Shipping + 2.25% Cash Back
Milwaukee 6394-21 7-1/4″ Circular Saw with Quik-Lok Cord:
One of the best saws under $200 and ready for professional use. The powerful double-insulated 15 amp motor cuts through materials with ease, this saw features a patented adjustable main handle that provides users with maximum control and comfort. Patented, power-assisted electronic brake stops the blade in less than two seconds. Fast, replaceable Quik-Lok™ cord with positive lock system, this is the lightest weight 3,25 mx. HP circular saw available.
- Full 50° bevel capacity for cutting extreme angles
- Exclusive 8-position Tilt-Lok™ handle adjusts to the cutting application
- front and rear handles have cushioned grips
- includes: Carbide-tipped blade, hex blade wrench and case
- 2 year warranty
Northern Tool: $179.00 w/Free Shipping + 2.5% Cash Back
TIP #2: Just like bones, tools break, so it’s best to “always” register your tools with the manufacturer to assure validity of any warranties and return policies. You can also save more money by passing on those extended warranties at checkout and using thrid party warranty services like SquareTrade for less than half the cost.
Follow FatWallet’s Shopping News, Giveaways, Contests and Smart Shopping Tips!