WINOS = Women in Need of Sanity
While all women need sanity from time to time, the biggest group of women in need of sanity are mothers. The journey of raising kids to adulthood isn’t an easy one by any means! It’s no wonder moms often crave those “Calgon Take Me Away” moments, wishing they could lock themselves in the bathroom (ALONE please) for an hour of free time to soak in a hot tub full of bubbles. (Trying to wash shampoo out of the hair of wiggly, slippery naked kids who don’t like having water poured on their heads doesn’t count.)
Moms are stressed. According to a survey by Care.com 80% of working moms feel stressed about getting everything done, and 62% imagine that others have their lives more together than they do. “Married women report higher levels of stress than single women, with one-third (33%) reporting that they have experienced a great deal of stress in the past month (8, 9 or 10 on a 10-point scale) compared with one in five (22%) of single women.” Quoted from the American Psychological Association website in their study on gender stress.
On the flip side, moms are resilient and great at forming mutually beneficial relationships to help them manage stress or laugh it off. There are a gazillion funny memes about Moms who reward themselves with a glass of wine after surviving another day of parenting. I found this one on the Facebook page, Moms Who Need Wine, where 700,000 women talk about surviving motherhood and their favorite wines.
They may be on to something! The benefits of drinking wine are numerous. Studies on the benefits of wine hint that drinking wine in moderation may help prevent dementia, depression, prevent breast cancer, help with anti-aging, and more. Bustle also recently shared that wine may actually help you lose weight! But setting health studies aside, drinking alcohol, in general, makes people feel relaxed and eases conversation which may help moms ease their worries and stress. Drinking wine may help moms unwind at the end of the day and could possibly lead to fermented grape induced friskiness with their partners, which is a great stress reliever as well. If you need more excuses here are 12 Reasons it Might be Time for a Glass of Wine on @ScaryMommy.
Women & Wine Statistics:
Wine sales have steadily increased year over year since 2009. $36.3 Billion was spent on wine in 2013.
Here are some fun survey results, Liz Thach, Professor of Management and Wine Business at Sonoma State University, shared in the article, A Snapshot of the American Wine Consumer in 2014 on winebusiness.com.
- Women make up 51% of the market and men 49%.
- The Millennial generation makes up 36% of the market followed by the Baby Boomer generation who holds 34%, GenX was at 22%.
- 20% drink wine daily, 48% drink wine a few times a week, 18% once a week and 14% occasionally.
- Americans, on the average, are not expensive wine drinkers. 57% spend $15 or less on a bottle of wine.
- Many are using smartphones and apps to help them save money on wine. 36% comparison shop for wine on their phone and 24% use apps to find wine coupons.
Deductive Reasoning as to Why Moms Sound Like Wine Drunks on Social Media: Women buy more wine than men, and Millennials buy the most → 83% of new moms are Millennials → Moms are stressed → Drinking wine may be good for you and ease stress → Wine is delicious → Wine is affordable → Everyone looks classy holding a stemmed glass.
Here are our favorite wine gifts for moms in need of sanity, appreciation, laughs and love:
If your mom enjoys crafting or still has a box of your artwork from elementary school, she’ll cherish a handmade gift from you. Here are a few easy projects that are affordable, gorgeous, and sure to impress!
1. Wine Cork Pendants:
- Aren’t these pretty? Click here for instructions on Fiskars.com
2. Painted Wine Glasses:
- We made some of these for our FatWallet Cheap Wine Fridays! Click here for instructions on Brit.co
3. Scrabble Wine Charms:
4. Framed Screw It, Cheers, Unwind Free Printables:
- Grab these adorable Corkscrew Printables for Free on EclecticallyVintage.com
- Pair them with these Cute with Polka Dot Clipboards from JoAnn.com (2% Cash Back) or frame them.
5. Etched Wine Bottle Dish Soap Dispenser:
- Instructions are by RealCoake.com and appeared on LivingWellSpendingLess.com
6. Wine Bottle Tiki Torch
- Get the DIY details here at geradotandco.com
Funny Wine Gifts for Mother’s Day
If your mom, sisters, or your gal pals from your mom’s group love to laugh and have a great sense of humor, give gifts that will tickle their funny bone.
7. I Do Yoga to Relieve Stress T-Shirt:
8. Happy Man Wine Bottle Cork Screw, Opener, and Stopper:
The Aspirational Wine-Drinking Mom:
For the mom who dreams of free time and somehow seems to find it, here are some gifts that will allow her to enjoy her wine in a wide range of locations:
9. Soak Your Cares Away. Save Your Worries for Another Day:
10. Wine Picnic Basket:
11. Wine Themed Artwork
- Decorate the kitchen, dining room, or wine cellar with a beautiful print from Art.com with 6% cash back.
Books for Lovers of Wine & Food!
If the mom on your list enjoys reading, learning, and cooking here are some of our top book choices in the wine category.
12. The Wine Bible
- The Wine Bible was written by Karen MacNeil is one of the best-selling wine books of all times. It’s an essential for any wine lover!
13. Wine Bites
- Wine Bites Cookbook gives you 60+ recipes for delicious snacks and wine pairings
14. 100 Perfect Pairings
- 100 Perfect Pairings by Jill Silverman Hough offers up delicious recipes you can make to pair with your favorite wines!
15. The Wine Lover’s Cookbook
- The Wine Lover’s Cookbook “Plan a meal in perfect concert with a favorite or special wine!”
16. The Essential Scratch & Sniff Guide to Becoming a Wine Expert: Take Whiff of That
- This Scratch & Sniff Wine Book, by Richard Betts (@ and myessentialwine.com), will any wine newbie discover what they like and why they like it, so they know what to drink!
Gifts for The Wine Snob:
If your mom lives by the philosophy that life is too short to drink fine wine, give her a gift that will match her fine taste!
17. Wine Journal
- Anyone wine connoisseur will be excited to get this Moleskine Wine Journal, available at Wine.com Coupons with 2.5% Cash Back.
18. Wine Storage or Wine Rack
- How about a beautiful wine chest, like this antiqued one that is available at Overstock.com coupons with 2.5% cash back?
19. Wine Aerator Spout
- Get your mom a Wine Aerator to bring out the flavors in her favorite vintage. Available from Macy’s Coupons with 1.5% Cash Back. (Note: This gift is not necessary if your mom’s favorite label is Boones Farm Strawberry Hill)
20. Wine Saver Vacuum Cork
- If your mom actually does follow the “drink in moderation” guidelines, get her a vacuum cork to help her keep her wine fresh. This one is from BedBath&Beyond Coupons with up to 2% Cash Back!
21. Personalized Wine Bottle Opener
- Let mom know you value her friendship with this wine opener in a gorgeous personalized box engraved with your names and “Friendship is the wine of life.” From Things Remembered with 4% Cash Back.
22. Monogrammed Wine Glasses
- Everyone feels fancy when drinking wine out of a fancy glass. Order mom these Lenox Tuscany Monogrammed Wine Glasses from Macy’s Coupons with 1.5% Cash Back!
23. Wine Glass Charms:
- Crate & Barrel has these adorable wine glass charms so your mom will be able to tell her Chardonnay from her best friend’s Pinot Grigio.
Give Mom and Experiential Wine Gift for Mother’s Day!
Spending time with your mom is one of the best gifts you can give her. Make it even better by spending time drinking with her, or at least enjoying her wine hobby with her.
24. Wine tasting at local winery
- Check Groupon (4.5% Cash Back) and Living Social (2% Cash Back) for local deals on winery tours and tastings.
25. Cork & Canvas Events
- I took my mom to a wine and painting event a couple of weeks ago and we had a wonderful time! It was an affordable and unique way to spend time together. Check Groupon, Living Social, Facebook and your local restaurants for news on these kinds of events.
26. Grape Harvest/Grape Stomp
Many local wineries will hold a grape harvest and grape stomp festival in the fall! Invite your mom and relive one of the I Love Lucy Favorites of all time!
27. Visit to Wine Country
Take mom for the ultimate Mother’s Day gift, to wine country for a girls’ getaway vacation! Be sure to check out FatWallet Travel Deals & Coupons for savings + Cash Back on your travels!
FatWallet Wine Merchants:
- Wine Insiders 6% Cash Back
- WineBasket.com 5% Cash Back
- Wine.com 2.5% Cash Back
- WineTasting.com 5% Cash Back
FatWallet Raises a Glass to Moms this Mother’s Day!
This year, let’s raise a glass and toast all the moms out there who spend their days wiping runny noses and bottoms and getting up throughout the night to chase away bad dreams. Let’s salute those moms who are willing to stand toe-to-toe with angry teenagers, knocking their attitudes back into check. Let’s acknowledge the moms who stand strong helping their kids through challenges they shouldn’t have to face.
Mom’s we celebrate you! Whatever stage of parenting they are in, we know they need some sanity from time to time!