posted 12 days ago by
iLetTheDogsOut
Senior Member - 1K

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-CM3008-RM/?

Cable (DOCSIS) Standards:
DOCSIS 1.1 Certified 
DOCSIS 2.0 Certified 
DOCSIS 3.0 Certified
Network Standards:
IEEE802.3 
IEEE802.3u 
IEEE802.3ab 
IPv6 support (Internet Protocol Version 6)
Ports:
1x Gigabit Ethernet 
Maximum Line Rate:
Up to 343Mbps Download, Up to 120 Mbps Upload 
LEDs:
Power, DS (Downstream), US (Upstream), Status, Link 
Buttons:
Reset 
Power:
12V 1A 
Interfaces:
Cable: F-type female 75 ohm 
Warranty and Support:
1-year limited warranty 
90-day complimentary assisted technical support

24 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Does it work with Optimum? I see no reason why it shouldn't from a technical perspective. Is this similar/better/worse than Arris TM822G?

rated:
Not bad, worth a try.

rated:
My current ISP (centurylink) won't renew my promotional price after having done so for two additional years, so it's time to do the 12 month promo dance with xfinity. If they won't renew their promo price in 12 months, it'll be back to CL. $20 seems like a great deal.

rated:
Looks good

rated:
Dotbody said:   My current ISP (centurylink) won't renew my promotional price after having done so for two additional years, so it's time to do the 12 month promo dance with xfinity. If they won't renew their promo price in 12 months, it'll be back to CL. $20 seems like a great deal.

Same here. They wouldn't renew their "deal" after 5 years of renewing. So I cancelled service on 8/1 and got UVerse on 8/4.

Comcast Internet is still working. Their Streaming TV and HBO is still working. I've called and chatted and their reason is they stopped billing me on 8/1 but since I have "TV Service" a technician needs to disconnect the TV signal. He's coming today so hopefully he realizes I don't have streaming service and I'm one of the lucky guys that doesn't have to pay Comcast for internet. I'm really confused as to why they can't block my modem but i'm ok with it. Uverse's peering speeds are an absolute joke. They don't "throttle" they just don't do peering agreements.

TLDR : Once you cancel you'll have a couple of days you can use internet. I received 4 calls from their sales team between that time giving me the promos but I had already ordered uVerse.

rated:
I want to get Internet but cant find a deal .. only deal is 44.99 (xfinity .. internet only or internet and 10+ channels - same price) .. what happened to 19.99 1 year deals? Will this work with Xfinity?

just checked --WORKS WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE PROVIDERSOwning your own modem allows you to eliminate rental fees from your service provider. The Linksys CM3008 Cable Modem is certified to work with Internet service plans from major cable providers, including Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner, Cox, and Charter--providing savings up to $120 a year on modem rental fees.

rated:
Spoke to Optimum. They don't blacklist any modem. As long as it is technically compatible with your plan, it will work. Just ordered 1. Will report back once installed. Thanks, OP.

rated:
Overheated and disconnected constantly
Amazon Gary  said: I just purchased this cable modem a few weeks ago and yes it is very hot and I have to keep powering it on/off daily to get the connection to re-establish. Comcast confirmed the signal was strong and consistent so I believe the modem is the problem. I'll be replacing it soon. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
I don't want a fire hazard in my home.

rated:
I've had my own modem for a couple years now. My little rural ISP just started charging a rental fee for their modems so bought my own right away.

I have a Arris Surfboard SB6141 (exactly the same as the Motorla) which has been rock solid. But I have no idea of the real life expectancy of these things. I was going to grab this Linksys modem to keep as a backup but don't know if I will ever need it.

What I don't want to happen is my modem to suddenly die, then have to go to WalMart and pay $80-$120 for a new modem because I wasn't prepared with a backup.

rated:
prosperity said:   I've had my own modem for a couple years now. My little rural ISP just started charging a rental fee for their modems so bought my own right away.

I have a Arris Surfboard SB6141 (exactly the same as the Motorla) which has been rock solid. But I have no idea of the real life expectancy of these things. I was going to grab this Linksys modem to keep as a backup but don't know if I will ever need it.

What I don't want to happen is my modem to suddenly die, then have to go to WalMart and pay $80-$120 for a new modem because I wasn't prepared with a backup.

The SB6141 is kind of a tank. I probably wouldn't pay for a spare. If anything, I'd expect this CM3008 to fail before the 6141 fails. By the time the 6141 fails, it'll be time to buy a DOCSIS 5.0 modem or something more current for when gigabit is the lowest tier.

rated:
Dotbody said:   
prosperity said:   I've had my own modem for a couple years now. My little rural ISP just started charging a rental fee for their modems so bought my own right away.

I have a Arris Surfboard SB6141 (exactly the same as the Motorla) which has been rock solid. But I have no idea of the real life expectancy of these things. I was going to grab this Linksys modem to keep as a backup but don't know if I will ever need it.

The SB6141 is kind of a tank. I probably wouldn't pay for a spare. If anything, I'd expect this CM3008 to fail before the 6141 fails. By the time the 6141 fails, it'll be time to buy a DOCSIS 5.0 modem or something more current for when gigabit is the lowest tier.

Thanks for that! Makes sense - no sense having a backup for long enough that it would be antiquated.

rated:
Can people report back if this worked on 150 Mbps or above??

I just upgraded to 250mbps from 50mpbs on my 8-bonded channel Motorola and it didn't work. It maxes out at 120 Mbps supposedly.
The 250mbps actually caused my modem not to work at all.

rated:
joedaddy123 said:   Can people report back if this worked on 150 Mbps or above??

I just upgraded to 250mbps from 50mpbs on my 8-bonded channel Motorola and it didn't work. It maxes out at 120 Mbps supposedly.

Is the modem on your approved list with your ISP? If not, you need to call them to adjust / provision the correct speed for you (if even possible). It might take a few tries too depending on your CSR. Some are very savvy while others are completely clueless on what you're trying to accomplish. This has been my experience with Time Warner / Spectrum anyway.

rated:
joedaddy123 said:   Can people report back if this worked on 150 Mbps or above??

On the Linksys page there is a chart that says this modem is for a "Economy / Performance" internet tier, where the Internet Plan speed would be "Up to 100 Mbps" whereas the DOCSIS 3.0 speed would be "343 Mbps". 

They have qualifiers at the bottom, and I understand there is overhead, but why is there such a large difference between the line rate and the "Internet Plan" speed? 

rated:
I have already 2 (two) Arris modem died during a couple of years, purchased and using the 3rd one. I keep lynksys modem as a backup.

rated:
In for 1. Thanx

rated:
down speed is limited to 343 Mbps. My carrier is planning to 500/100. Should i buy this?

rated:
Same thing with me too. 

rated:
Received it today and got it to work with Optimum. However, it reboots every 15 to 30 minutes. When it is working, the speed is good as per my plan. But this reboot is annoying.

rated:
FatWKing said:   Received it today and got it to work with Optimum. However, it reboots every 15 to 30 minutes. When it is working, the speed is good as per my plan. But this reboot is annoying.
That's been a known issue according to Amzon reviews/

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
FatWKing said:   Received it today and got it to work with Optimum. However, it reboots every 15 to 30 minutes. When it is working, the speed is good as per my plan. But this reboot is annoying.

Are you aware of any solution? What is the root cause? Let me see if I can find anything on the issue. Thank you.

rated:
You can use this to access cable modem directly...for sys info, channel conditions, and events.

http://192.168.100.1/index.html#status_system/m/1/s/0

All the reboots were related to T3 time outs. No ranging response received (seems related to uplink noise).

Why wasn't Arris impacted by this? I am returning this back.

rated:
FatWKing said:   
marcopolomle said:   

Are you aware of any solution? What is the root cause? Let me see if I can find anything on the issue. Thank you.

I have no idea as I didn't buy it.
Sorry.

rated:
Fair warning: the modem I got appears to be defective. Their "certification" process may leave some things to be desired.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017